Saturday, March 16, 2013

Chicken Fried Steak - God's Gift to the Carnivore

How do you make a steak taste better? Deep fry it!

Many Americans will agree that frying something (ie. chocolate bars, ice cream, etc.) is the best way to improve the taste of anything. I don't know if I agree fully with this concept, as my first and last experience with a fried snickers bar, left me hurting. But in the case of Chicken Fried Steak - I must concur.

Many sources attribute Chicken or Country Fried Steak's development to German and Austrian immigrants to Texas in the nineteenth century. I personally think it was a gift handed down from the Gods and as a child I would look for it on the menu everywhere we went, all over the United States.

The best Chicken Fried Steak I ever had was at a little train car diner in Jefferson Texas. The steak had been beaten thin and the breading around the meat had been fried perfectly crispy, while still maintaining the juiciness of the meat inside. At the young age of ten I was asking the waitress what was in the gravy that made it taste so good! It was then that I learned about Bacon Gravy. And not long after I learned to make the sinful stuff.

Well, I am a long way off from Jefferson Texas, but I have to tell you that I am fortunate enough to have a superb version of the old Texas classic, right down the road from my home in Redlands. That place is Carolyn's Cafe.




The steak is done just the way I like it, crispy on the outside and juicy and well seasoned on the interior - but the best part about their dish is of course, the sausage gravy smothered all over the top. You can actually see large pieces of their breakfast sausage dotted throughout. If it's good enough for a self-proclaimed Texas raised CFS expert, then it's worth giving a try yourself. If your disapointed, well, then you don't really know what CFS is to begin with 

No comments:

Post a Comment